Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Careful

I think I may have learned something kinda important today, I don't know if its something I really learned but I feel I got a refresher course on it. Kindness, and attitude. Today when I was working I had to help several people who are less physically able than myself. But heres the kicker, at first my attitude was one of, I don't want to do this, and why cant these stupid people put their own crap into their car. I didn't know them, I have no idea what caused them to be handicapped, but I also didn't know that they were not handicapped either, and that my friends was where I took the wrong approach. I made a judgement about them and made the decision that I didnt want to help them from the get go, regardless of my feelings on the matter I did my job though and took their purchases to their respective modes of transportation. The first guy that I helped had a pretty big item that weighed a lot, like 65 lbs and very awkward. Naturally he was driving a car instead of a truck like one would expect, and he requested that I place said item in the back seat. Never mind the trunk, the back seat is way better for large items, especially when theres only me and the individual I'm helping, and hes supervising to make sure I do it right. Well after almost throwing out my back I got the item into the back of his car. I smiled and said have a good day, he in return said "Thank-you" (kindness, thats pleasant/nice/expected at least) and I went and got more carts. About 20 minutes later I hear the words "Load out!" and the same guy was coming out of the warehouse with the same heavy item. Now I'm just baffled and I had to ask why he got two, "well its on sale and they are kinda handy." Whatever, I'll almost throw out my back again and get this item into his car from the basket and probably never be able to walk again in an upright position, no big deal. So I do the same thing we exchange formalities and to be honest I was a little more willing to help him because we had a history and our relationship went back so far.
I got back to the water cooler got a drink and then he drives by, points at me, and says "Hey, come here." I have a pretty good idea where this is going when I see a ten dollar bill in his hand, and I reluctantly inform him that we cant accept gratuities, and he even offered to buy my lunch. Of course I couldn't accept that either, besides ten bucks isn't worth my job. But it did make my day a little brighter as I knew that my fake pleasant attitude had actually made his day better and he wanted to reward my effort.
Time: 30 mins later. Location: The Co. South Parking lot. Mission: Load out. Person: Elderly Woman who had back surgery, (ouch, oh and I must add that the previously mentioned gentleman had a bicep tear that had been operated on several weeks before, I know because he told me
As I put her cats kitty litter in her car (not her cats car, just to clarify) I knew I was actually being a blessing to her. Heavens forbid she have to have another back surgery, I hear thats kind of a "pain" (haha). Anywho, When I'm done with that, She puts a five dollar bill in my hand and says keep it, and I told her I really cant, if I keep it here I'll just turn it in as lost and found. "However," I say, "If you put a comment in the suggestions box that Ben is awesome" or something to that effect. Then that can help me more than the 5 bucks. "Ok, I will do that " (hope she does, Kudos to me). Now I'm feeling pretty good, and in my mind I'm thinking how many more dead presidents am I going to have to refuse? Sounds kinda like a contest maybe I can set a new record. (I dont)
A hour later, two VERY elderly ladies, two 45 lb bags of kitty litter, some chocolate muffins and one bag of bagels (they come in a two pack) I load the litter in their trunk where litter belongs and mention to them that they got jipped a package of bagels. IDK what I was thinking but I guess I was trying to get anther monetary reward because I asked her, "what flavor do you want?" "Cinnamon Raisin please." and I take off into the warehouse to retrieve her bagels -for those of you unfamiliar with my (yes its mine) Costco, they are at the VERY back of the store, probably 300 yards from were they were parked- I ran/jogged/walked quickly and ended up getting back to them before they even had got in their car * applause here*. The look on her face when I handed her the package of FRESH semi warm bagels was priceless. She didn't offer me a tip but the fact of the matter was, it didn't matter how big it would have been, the joy that she had and knowing that someone actually cared was enough to make her smile, and wanted her too, was worth much more and brought more satisfaction than any monetary compensation could ever bring.
And thats what I re-learned today, that although there are some spiny people out there the majority of people just want to be treated with respect, kindness and most of all want to know that someone, somewhere actually cares about them. So the next time your out shopping (not on Saturdays people!) remember to smile, strike up conversation (not to brag, but to be bragged to) and treat others like you want to be treated. A little goes a long way and it can make your day better, betterest, and bestestest.
Proverbs 27:17
"As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another."
Good words to live by.
Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Great entry Ben! Loving the blog so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knew you were the special brother : ) Great Member service Benjamin.. your momma would be very pleased..she raised a respectful young man !! alice

    ReplyDelete